Historian, Dr. Andrew Walker White, George Mason University, joins the show to discuss what scholars know about early theatre in Greece. Professor White is a theatre artist and cultural historian.
Some topics explored
- When theatre exists
- The earliest known Greek play
- When a play becomes a tragedy
- Three of the most popular Greek playwrights: Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides
- Where early Greek theatre was performed in Greece
- The Homeric epics and related stories in early theatre
- The classical Greek play Helen
- The agora (“market square”) being used in ancient Athens
Listen to the episode
The episode is available on major podcast apps: Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Amazon Music.
- Dr. White is author of the monograph Performing Orthodox Ritual in Byzantium (Cambridge University Press, 2017)
Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.